2018 Annual Conference Presentations
MWEA's 93rd Annual Conference
OPENING SESSION (Monday, June 25th, 2018)
June 24th - June 27th, 2018
Boyne Mountain Resort - Boyne Falls, MI
SESSION 1A: Collection Systems (Monday, June 25th, 2018)
Impossible: Hunting Down I/I in Pontiac - Elaine Venema, Fleis & VandenBrink and Brian Bennett, Oakland County Water Resources Commissioners Office
- The Infrastructure Story Behind 800 New Jobs in Coldwater Michigan - Jeff Brown, Fishbeck, Thompson, Carr & Huber
- The Success of Inflow and Infiltration Removal in the City of Roosevelt Park - Peter Brink, P.E, Prein&Newhof
- Air/Vacuum Release Valves - A Neglected Maintenance Item - Establishing an Effective Preventative Maintenance Program - Greg Tatara, Ph.D., MHOG Utility Department and Tesha Humphriss, P.E., MHOG Utility Department
SESSION 1B: Stormwater (Monday, June 25th, 2018)
- Revitalization of a Historic Urban Park with Sustainable Stormwater Management - Susan Rusinowski, Environmental Consulting & Technology, Inc. and Tonya Lewandowski, Environmental Consulting & Technology, Inc.
- Green Infrastructure Installation Techniques - Ann Arbor Waste Water Treatment Plant - Leah Balogh, Arcadis and Chris Englert, City of Ann Arbor
- Hiawatha Drain - County Drain or Habitat Restoration? - Dana Burd, Prein&Newhof and Melanie Manion, Ottawa County Parks and Joe Bush, Ottawa County Water Resources Commissioner
- MDOT Stormwater BMPs - The Challenge of Design - Dan DeVaun, AECOM and Janeen McDermott, AECOM
SESSION 1C: Operations & Treatment (Monday, June 25th, 2018)
- PFAS Update - Phil Argiroff, MDEQ and Christine Alexander, MDEQ
- Chemical And Biological Phosphorus Removal At One Of The World's Largest Water Resource Recovery Facilities - Glen Daigger, University of Michigan and Wendy Barrott, Great Lakes Water Authority
- Troubleshooting Long-term Biofouling By Dispersed Bacteria In Full-scale Membrane Bioreactor - Avery Carlson, University of Michigan and Glen Daigger, University of Michigan
- Rainfall as a Resource - Sustainable Management at KVCC - Brian Boyer, Kieser & Associates, LLC
- Degrade the Tardigrade: The Immortal Water Bear - Jarod Stuyvesant, Moore & Bruggink, Inc. and Brian Hannon, Moore & Bruggink, Inc. and Doug Engelsman, City of Zeeland
SESSION 2A: Hot Topics (Tuesday, June 26th, 2018)
- Goin' Hog Wild - A Fast Paced Coldwater WRRF Expansion - Kent Moeggenborg, Fishbeck, Thompson, Carr & Huber and Jack Rafter, P.E., Fishbeck, Thompson, Carr & Huber and Jeff Budd, Coldwater Board of Public Utilities
- Rethinking the Mechanism of Biological Phosphorus Removal - James Barnard, Ph.D., Black & Veatch and Steve Arant, Black & Veatch and Patrick Dunlap, Black & Veatch
- Making Compliance Cheaper for Local Government: The Michigan Municipal Wetland Alliance - Stacy Hissong, Fahey Schultz Burzych Rhodes, PLC and Stephen Shine, State of Michigan Department of Natural Resources
- Grand Rapids - Utility of the Future - What are they up to? - Michael Lunn, City of Grand Rapids
- Smarter Plant and Smaller Energy Bills: New Upgrades at the GCDC District 3 WRRF - Andrew Dow, Donohue & Associates, Inc. and Mark Earl, Genesee County Drain Commissioner, Div of Water and Waste Services?
- A Comparison of Technologies for Hydrogen Sulfide Control from a Lengthy Force Main - Lambrina Tercala, OHM Advisors and Scott Martin, Scio Township
SESSION 2B: Watershed (Tuesday, June 26th, 2018)
- Engineering Our Enivornment - Jamie Burton, Hubbell, Roth & Clark, Inc. and Jeff Bednar, Macomb County Public Works Office
- Grassroots Success Story through Leadership in the Kawkawlin River Watershed- Julie Kleinau, Kawkawlin River Watershed Association and Tonya Lewandowski, Environmental Consulting & Technology, Inc.
- Boardman Dam Removal and River Restoration - Lessons Learned from the Construction Site (and how they can help design) - Dan DeVaun, AECOM
- Impacts of an Agricultural/Urban Land Cover Gradient in a Coldwater Stream - Dan Myers, GVSU Annis Water Resources Institute
- Collaborative Stormwater Permitting in the Rouge River Watershed - Anette DeMaria, Environmental Consulting & Technology, Inc. and Brandy Siedlaczek, City of Southfield and Jim Ridgway, Environmental Consulting & Technology, Inc.
- Water Resources Plan for Southeast Michigan: Infrastructure, Natural Resources, and the Blue Economy - Kelly Karll, Southeast Michigan Council of Governments
SESSION 2C: Asset Management (Tuesday, June 26th, 2018)
SESSION 3A: Treatment Process & Design (Tuesday, June 26th, 2018)
- Sustainability Focused Facility Planning - A Community Specific Approach - Nathan Cassity, Donohue & Associates, Inc. and Bob Scheuerman, City of East Lansing
- Whole Plant Modeling of the Clinton River WRRF: Capacity Evaluation and Operational Optimization - Jared Buzo, Oakland County WRC and Evangelina Belia, Primodal US Inc.
- Oakland County - Clinton River WWRF Screening Improvements Project - Megan Fenstemaker, Duperon Corporation and Jared Buzo, Oakland County WRC
- Ann Arbor Wastewater Treatment Plant Facilities Renovations: Building the Project Before Construction - Tom Porter, Arcadis and Earl Kenzie, City of Ann Arbor
- South Haven WWTP Pump Station and Headworks - Dennis Benoit, Hubbell, Roth & Clark, Inc.
SESSION 3B: Sustainability & Energy Management (Tuesday, June 26th, 2018)
- Munising, MI Leads the Way with Energy Efficiency, In Full Compliance with Permit & Saves Money - Joh Kang, Tetra Tech
- Achieving Energy Efficiencies through Capital Improvements at the Benton Harbor - St. Joseph WWTP - Timothy Lynch, BHSJ WWTP
- Energy Neutrality Achieved Through Codigestion - Michael Maringer, Quasar Energy Group
- Biosolids Management - The Perfect Storm - Majid Khan, GLWA and Dan Alford, GLWA and Beena Chackunkal, P.E., GLWA
- Oakland County Unit Factor Assignment Study Updates - Laura Gruzwalski, Johnson & Anderson, Inc.
PLENARY SESSION (Wednesday, June 27th, 2018)
*Not all presentations were available for posting online.